September 21st Updates

New York: London: Tripoli:

NATO20:24 NATO The sea and air campaign in Libya will be extended by a further three months, ambassadors of the 28 NATO states agreed at a meeting in Brussels. The current mandate was due to expire on September 27th.

Al Jazeera14:27 Al Jazeera English The NTC on Wednesday admitted heavy losses and hospitals full of wounded from their assault on Gaddafi hometown of Sirte, forcing them to send abroad critically hurt troops.

At least 45 NTC fighters have been killed and more than 200 wounded — mostly by explosions or gunfire — since they launched an offensive against Sirte last week, medics in Misrata said.

At least six explosions shook the town in the early afternoon as NATO aircraft overflew the town where forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi battled NTC fighters seeking to oust them.

Reuters13:34 Reuters Libya’s new flag flew at the United Nations on Tuesday for the first time since Muammar Gaddafi’s overthrow as U.S. President Barack Obama called for the last of the deposed leader’s loyalists to stop fighting.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, welcoming Libya’s new leaders into the international community, said the Security Council had acted to protect the Libyan people from violence.

The African Union has now also recognized the NTC as the legitimate Libyan authorities.

Reuters10:24 Reuters One of the last three main bastions of Muammar Gaddafi in Libya has been largely taken over by forces of the provisional government a month after he was toppled, an official said on Wednesday.

Sabha — deep in the North African state’s Sahara desert — has been holding out along with Bani Walid and Gaddafi’s hometown Sirte since the fall of the capital Tripoli on Aug. 23.

“We control most of Sabha apart from the al-Manshiya district. This is still resisting, but it will fall,” National Transitional Council military spokesman Ahmed Bani told Reuters.

Reuters09:57 Reuters Libya will likely name a new government within 10 days, interim Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril said, raising hopes of political progress in the fractured country weeks after the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi.

Libya’s de facto rulers won expressions of support from Washington, the African Union and South Africa on Tuesday and its new flag flew for the first time at the United Nations.

This entry was posted in Live News. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to September 21st Updates

  1. Fredy says:

    My sincere condolences for the families of all those 45 fighters killed in battle.
    I hope that all the 200 wounded are painless in the hospital getting the proper care.

    We did not expect the fight for Sirte and Bani Walid to be so fierce and bloody.

    The NTC tried to avoid these casualties and human damage through negotiations . I’m glad the NTC tried. These battles will be over shortly. They won’t be worse than the battle for Zliten or Brega.

Comments are closed.